View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 10, 2019, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

hesitation rule -

Coaching a tourney this weekend and had a Hesitation Rule call that I had not really heard before. Honestly, havent seen a lot of hesitation calls since 10U when girls with runner at 3B would round the bag stop and get called.

Anyhow, this weekend in 18U PGF game runner at 3B, ball 4 to batter which we called after ball 3 what we wanted defense to do if by some chance runner broke - runner slows down, then stops for a brief second then continues on to 2B - ball in circle, P did not engage the runner.

Umpire acknowledged our call for Hesitation, but said "thats her 1 allowed stop". He then noted to his partner "she stopped, her 1 allowed stop". Had not heard that interpretation before.

As I walked back I asked home plate ump if that was his interpretation as he is a really good ump and wanted to hear where I was amiss from my longtime understanding of the rule, he didnt really respond because I guess I did not go through proper channels but my thought was that if your partner quotes a rule that is not correct saying "I have her 1 allowed stop" that I shouldnt have to ask for help if you know he is wrong, confer and get it right. After the game he said he did not see rule the way partner ruled on the field.

So two part question:
* Little help on rule - does runner get 1 "stop"
* Expectations if you disagree with partners rule interpretation that he says outloud? Is that something you need HC to ask for help with or when he verbalizes it to the field, is it assumed at that point if you disagree you should discuss?