View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 06, 2019, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Thank you, Altor. I already acknowledged the wording in the rules book.

But she's not out when she hits it, and then it bounces untouched to foul territory.
I'm starting to agree with Cecil that the rule as written is a potential mess.

Let's stick with what's on video: In a high school game, a BR hit an infield fly, which in the future would become a fair ball. By strict reading of NFHS 2-30, the batter is out (retired) at this point and the ball remains live. This player, the BR, then interferes with F3 attempting to make a play on a batted ball. The penalty for retired runner interference is, as we all know, runner closest to home is out.

Now, let's go hypothetical: In an IF situation, BR hits a fly ball that is over foul territory when she interferes with F3 making a play. Dead ball, one out (the BR), and all runners return to base last touched at TOI, right?

Hypothetical #2: In an IF situation BR hits a fly ball which is not caught before hitting the ground and rolls/spins foul. BR interferes with F3's attempt to field this foul ground ball. Dead ball; foul ball; add a strike only if there are not already 2, right?

Last edited by teebob21; Thu Jun 06, 2019 at 09:05pm.