View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 04, 2019, 07:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I've heard many times from veteran officials about the difference between the test and real life, and how they don't apply the rules in a real game in the manner that the test specifies as the correct way.
Don't you officiate real games? Don't you work real games with veteran officials? I'm confounded by your continual use of the phrase "real games". The play in question happened in a "real game", it's not a test question. And plays like this are going to happen in your real games eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
For the record, I do not agree with that mindset. I would cancel the score and award two shots, unless the foul directly contributed to the travel (the shooter was pushed and lost his balance, causing him to travel).
So A1 jumps for a shot, B1 swipes down and hits both of A1's arms, A1 returns to the court landing on both feet, then A1 releases the ball and it goes in the basket. You're counting that basket because the foul caused the travel?

DO NOT COMPLICATE THINGS: If it is obvious, cancel the basket and award 2 free throws. If you have to split hairs or need replay to detect the travel, count the basket and award 1 free throw.

Why can't it be as simple as that?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jun 04, 2019 at 02:12pm.