View Single Post
Old Tue May 14, 2019, 11:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Talk Amongst Yourselves (Coffee Talk) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Anything to keep your word and post count up.
Would like to see some discussion regarding original post situation #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcowboy View Post
2 Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt. While dribbling, he places one foot on the division line, but the other foot and the ball remain in the frontcourt, Is this a backcourt violation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Does the hand have to be in contact with the ball for the backcourt violation to be called? What if the foot in on the division line while the ball is mid-dribble (not being touched by the ball handler at that second), and then the foot comes off the division line back into the frontcourt when the dribbler next touches the ball?

9-3-1-Note: A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds. The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.

The citation above twice mentions out of bounds. Boundary is mentioned once. The division line is a boundary line, but it's not out of bounds. The citation is 9-3-1-Note. 9-3 deals with Out Of Bounds. 9-9 deals with Backcourt.

I never check for the hand in contact with the ball when a dribbler touches the division line with his foot in this situation, I just sound my whistle for the backcourt violation and move on. Is that technically and/or literally correct? Or is it only correct by purpose and intent? Or is it incorrect?
Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 14, 2019 at 12:32pm.