View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
My response to officials who opine and nitpick about "approved" signals such as a one- or two-finger directional instead of four...

Do you give a prelim on every foul?
Something we are asked to do heavily here, but it almost never stands out unless an official never does it.

Quote:
Do you signal a 60-second timeout with open hands instead of fists?
I do now, but no one said a thing to me when I didn't for some time.

Quote:
Do you "score the goal" as it looks on the signal chart?
Absolutely not.

Quote:
Do you signal "1 and 1" with arms outstretched to the sides?
Nope, I give the signal with two fingers about shoulder length. Never had anyone say a word to me about this.

Quote:
Do you signal a blocking foul with opens hands on the hips instead of fists?
Not on at the spot. I am not sure I give that signal at the table at all times.

Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty more. Unless you can answer "yes" to every one of these questions, shut up.
I agree.

I do not say this to brag. I worked this past year the very last game of the IHSA Basketball Season. I worked the most prestigious game there is and over 4000 officials would have loved to have worked that game in my place or my partner's place for sure. I cannot recall in my over my 20 plus years more than 5 times where anyone said anything to me about any of these things and in some cases, no one ever said a word, even including camps I attended coming up for high school basketball.

The IHSA makes a training tape every few years and they use the State Finals as examples of good and bad things. The things they will highlight the most are things like positioning at the C or Trail for example. They might talk about how to rotate or when not to rotate. I am sure I will be on the tape when they make the next one for doing something wrong that is not perfect (I was able to avoid it the last two times I was working the State Finals), but I doubt me giving one finger or two is going to even be mentioned when that does happen. I am convinced they have bigger things they want us to do at least here in this state.

Peace