View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 03:29pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not totally disagree, just think officials at those levels get this wrong still. I have seen so many plays at the NCAA level where the ball touched by the defender first and then hits the backboard and it is called. I still think the current rule fits better and honestly wish the NCAA would get rid of this on the Men's side. I get it, leave the ball alone but there is still too much of a debate over this call that I feel was not there before also.
Just because officials at the NBA/NCAA-M/NCAA-W/FIBA level sometimes get goaltending calls wrong doesn't mean we should keep the HS rule as-is. This would create much greater continuity between rule sets on a play that happens more and more often.

Quote:
NCAA Men's still has this procedure for the most part (which we do not use the delays there either). It is rarely used by anyone at any level. And in my experience you do it once, it usually shut down the delays.
Again, just because NCAA-M officials are hesitant to give DoG warnings doesn't mean it would be a bad change at the HS level. HS officials put the ball down regularly, which pisses everyone off. Change it to a warning put in the book and HS officials would give that warning and everyone would be less upset overall.

Quote:
Delay for running OOB would be a good change. Also that line "You are the first person to enforce....blah, blah, blah" is just a line given to make it seem like you are being overly technical. It is a lie much of the time. I know officials that have enforced rules in the game right before an that still comes out of their mouth. I would in theory love to have a shot clock in HS, but we are going to be correcting so many mistakes and games will be influenced by all those mistakes that it will become a real distraction. If we cannot get good people to run these clocks at the small college level, we are really going to have issues at the HS level. I would rather not have the headache, but it would be good if run properly, even though I do not think it is going to change the game that much in this era.
Agreed on everything else.