View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 12:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I would not categorize that as a judgment call. Either you see it or you don't. Obviously the official that signaled it as a 2-pointer did not see it correctly, as it was overturned during the time out on video review.

However, if a block/charge call was made and reviewed, you could still have a 'split decision' as to what it was. It happens here all the time. We watch a play situation and half think it is one call, and half think it is the other. That would categorize as a judgment call.

I would hope on reviewing that 3-point shot, that everyone that sees the video would accept the visual fact that his foot was actually behind the line. Black and white, no judgment required.....

But with all the conversation on what judgment means, obviously this is strictly just my opinion.
I was half being a smart-a$$ in asking that question. I think we are conflating "an official's judgment" with "a judgment call" in this conversation. An official's judgment can be wrong, as with the 3-point shot in question, but there are plays where there is not necessarily a right or wrong, just the official's judgment (ie: severity of a foul/start of the shooting motion/when a dribble ended)