View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 31, 2019, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don’t understand why people are saying that the T was ballwatching on this play. It was outside the 3pt line. It was his play. He was looking up at a blocked shot by two tall players. That is exactly what he was supposed to be doing.

I believe that when the shot-blocker continued past the shooter in the corner, but towards the end line side, that put the shooter’s body between this player attempting to save the ball and the Trail. He may not have been able to see his foot step out.

Another possibility is that the follow up action of the save came so quickly after the blocked shot that the Trail was still focused on looking up high for contact and concerned with landing the shooter that he couldn’t shift his viewpoint to where the defender placed a foot upon coming down and quickly jumping again. This quick 1-2 sequence simply resulted in him not being able to observe all of the necessary factors and he missed the call.

In the end the trail has responsibility to see the whole play. Or this needs to become reviewable. This possession like in the championship 2 years ago hurt Gonzaga. They seem to be on the blunt end of missed calls in big games. Trail needs to step back and get a better angle. If the shot is blocked then you act just like lead you step back to see more after the shot. Example Virgina Purdue. Lead official watched the line the entire way and made a great call down the stretch. In the GU game you can see where his head is which means field of vision. Lead and C can see the contact if there's a push he saw the blocked shot then needs to back out and see the play to be able to see it all. As a trail I'm looking for everything as a lead I'm rotating out to help trail because there's a fluster click going over there. But you can clearly see his entire foot is OOB, it's not like his toe was on the line. He jumped from OOB, there was enough delay to see where he was so and would've just taken a quick glance to make sure I see where he was. In a game like this it's huge to miss something like this and hurts teams.