View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 14, 2019, 06:31pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
From the OhioHSAA Softball Bulletin 2019-1:

Play #5: B1 hits an Illegal Pitch for a Double. B1 misses 1B and is called out on Appeal. Since B1 did not reach 1B safely, is the Illegal Pitch nullified or is there an option?

What say you?

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Aren't you forgetting:

NFHS R2-S1-A10 says: "Missing First Base Before the Throw Arrives. If a runner passes first base before the throw arrives, she is considered to have touched the base unless an appeal is made. If an appeal is made, it must be made prior to the runner returning to first base while the ball is live."

What does R2-S1-A10 tell us?

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Not sure where you're going with this. The rule you cited tells us pretty much the story.
  • Live ball appeal?
  • A play was being made on the BR @ 1B?
  • BR stayed at or near 1B? i.e. not trying to stretch a hit
  • Base umpire should initially rule safe and then wait to see if the appeal is made?
  • Cannot call time out as the ball is still live? (Assuming no catastrophic injury.)
  • I give up. What DOES R2-S1-A10 tell us?

Please read the red portion of R2-S1-A10 above, it says "she is considered to have touched the base unless an appeal has been made". The successful Appeal means that B1 was put out before touching 1B. Therefore let us go to R6-S1-A1, PENALTY, EXCEPTION 1 which says: "If the batter reaches first base safely and each other runner advances at least one base, the illegal pitch is nullified. All action stands and the illegal pitch is canceled." B1 did not reach 1B safely because of the successful Appeal by the Defense, therefore, the Offense does have an option: i) Take the result of the Play or ii) Negate the out by B1 with B1's At Bat continuing with a Ball added to her Ball/Strike count.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio