View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 06, 2019, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
First period. A1 taunts B1. First technical foul. Second period. A1 swears at official. Second technical foul and disqualified to the bench. Third period. A1, on bench, stands and loudly complains about a call. Third technical foul, coach sits, and a discussion ensues with the head coach about a possible "ejection" of A1 to the locker room with adult supervision in lieu of a possible forfeit.

The NFHS doesn't say that I can't charge a third technical foul to A1.

If he's not swearing at me, and not swearing at an opponent, and is just in a lot of pain, the f-bomb can be ignored. In this case, all four f-bombs can be ignored.

If he is swearing at me, or is swearing at an opponent, four rapid fire f-bombs in a row will get him only one (not four) technical foul (probably flagrant). After I report the technical foul to the table, and after the player with the broken nose has a few seconds to compose himself (having time to process that he just got penalized for the first tirade), if he swears at me (or an opponent) again, I will charge him a second technical foul (even if the first one was flagrant).
You (plural) keep coming up with scenarios other than the OP. Whatever it takes to fit "your" situation. If, for your last case, I was the official, I would have him removed after the second T. Or, ignore the complaint, after all who cares about that in a rec league. It should be common that you would not even hear the player, lol. Or, If you allow him to stay on bench and feel the need to give a T, just issue a bench technical and then have player removed. Or, just have him removed. Diffuse and avoid making it worse.

Not sure why four in a row would not require you to give 4 T's. How much time do you allow between actions? Clearly, it is your discretion, which is exactly what is available to everyone. What if they were 11 F bombs at you in complete succession? Gonna rattle off the T signal with your hands 11 quick times when he is done? Pfft, nah, then you would be making the travesty. I am not believing that you would ignore a player swearing loudly out of anger/frustration. Not buying that you would allow players to continuously swear out loud an entire game just because it is not at you/opponent. Not even close to making that purchase.

I am done on this one. However, for those that are on the bubble, trust me, do not issue more than 2 technicals on a player as described in the OP. Let the player make headlines, not you.

Last edited by bucky; Wed Mar 06, 2019 at 11:06pm.