View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 04, 2019, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I agree with all of this. Except I have seen a few instances of a non-chop-block due to a defensive hold in the last couple of seasons.

I did have one absolutely perplexing block a few years back. Started out as a textbook chop block... the C engaged the NT above the waist, and the LG came in and hit the NT right at the knee. Remarkably, the NT was able to remain upright, and as I was throwing my flag for the Chop Block, the NT performed a classic hook-and-turn defensive hold on the C, who by that point was attempting to escape to the second level. At no point when the chop block happened was there any defensive holding, the DH only developed about half a second after the Chop.

Hopefully that's the only time in my career as an umpire where I call a Chop Block and a Defensive Hold on the same play. When I reported it to my Referee he looked at me like I was from outer space, but when he saw the video he agreed with my call.

I've since shown the video of that block to 7 or 8 D-I and NFL umpires, and so far there's no consensus on if I should have called the CHB, the DH, or both.
Definitely unusual but based on your description entirely possible.