View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 01, 2019, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Why can't the interpreter just sit and perform her duties, like the other assistants? I first thought this but then realized that if the head coach moves too far she may not be able to hear him. Also, the coach may want to have a private conversation with a player and thus, she may need to stand to be closer to perform her duties. So....why can't she does stand/walk behind the bench? That would allow her to move with the coach, be in a safe position, and perform her duties to the fullest.

Another thought, this one perhaps dumb. Wouldn't a deaf person who had an interpreter have an advantage in any loud gym? I have seen thousands of games where the communication with the coach was absent due to noise. One indicated the interpreter was allowed to substantiate equal communication so if it gets loud enough, then shouldn't the interpreter be disallowed from communicating? Please don't answer. I know...dumb.

I am no expert, but anxiety? Don't all players have that? I certainly am neither trying to be funny nor insensitive but how does someone with an anxiety disorder play mainstream sports? Again, do not answer, I will research.

A player has an implant that allows them to hear what the coach is saying. The coach talks into an electronic device that send the words to the implant, where the player can hear them. Should that be legal? Should that have documentation? During a live ball and action on the court, the coach was holding the device to his mouth and talking to the player.

Last edited by bucky; Sat Mar 02, 2019 at 01:27pm.