View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 15, 2019, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Bottom of the 7th inning, score is tied with 1 out and R1 is on 3B, R2 is on 2B and R3 is on 1B. B5 hits a fly ball over F9’s head scoring R1 from
3B. Thinking the game is over, R2 and R3 do not advance and touch their respective bases and B5 does not touch 1B. Instead they join in
celebrating with team members at home plate. F1 standing near the pitching plate makes a verbal appeal to the base umpire that B5 did not
touch 1B and the base umpire calls B5 out. Then F4 appeals that R3 did not touch 2B and the base umpire calls R3 out. The correct ruling is:
I've actually had this play...as a player. I was the catcher, but it was bases loaded with no outs in the bottom of the 7th.

Batter drilled one to the base of the fence about 300' away. R1 scored and when I saw the rest of the runners start celebrating instead of advancing to their respective base, I turned to the PU and said, "Don't go anywhere" and started walking toward 3B. F7 was starting to head in and I told him to go get the ball. He did and tossed it to me. I touched 3B, hustled over to 2B and my right fielder (also an umpire) realized what I was doing and ran to 1B and caught my throw while the other team just realized what was going on.

Umpire made all three out calls and told the team to take the field for the 8th inning. Boy, they were not happy, but their coach actually realized what his team did and told his team to hustle out.

It really isn't a difficult or hard-to-understand rule. However, as far as the improper order of the appeals in the OP, should IMO negate other force outs and should allow the run.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Feb 15, 2019 at 11:28pm.