View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2019, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
If there is one out, and two successful appeals, now we have 3 outs.

Per (Assuming NCAA, because it's that season) 7.1.1.2.7, if a base runner forced to advance misses the base, the appeal is a force out. If she is not forced, it's a timing play. We all know a run cannot score on a pitch where the 3rd out is made via force.

Appeal outs are made in the order in which they are appealed. The appeal on B5 (and the 2nd out call) came first. Maybe this is a little rulebook lawyering, but I'm pretty sure that this removes the force appeal on the runners, as the BR is out.

The second appeal is then a timing play and we go to rule 6.2. Whether the ball is live "sitting in the outfield as the offense celebrates" or dead due to the "winning" run scoring and ending the game, the only conclusion that I can reach is that the run by R1 scores, and the game is indeed over, no matter whether R3 is out or not.
I agree with you that once B5 is called out there's no way to take the run off the board.
The test question is from USA.

But the NCAA language creates the same problem. The runner did not miss the base. She abandoned her baserunning responsibilities.

Let's just change this test question and take it deeply into dream land. Both teams had lost track of the inning and it's only the bottom of the 6th. The "winning" (go-ahead) run comes in to score. The players from the bases come in to celebrate with her touching home plate. No one appeals anything. The chaos settles with both teams heading to their dugouts. Do those runs score (the runner from first just missed 2nd and 3rd) or do we have abandonment and call them out when they get into the dugout in which case no appeal would be necessary and the order they enter the dugout would decide whether the first run scored?

To put it another way, there are two things I'm struggling with in this question. How does the ball become dead for a dead ball appeal and second how does one appeal that a runner ran from first to home instead of first to second?