View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 11, 2019, 01:46pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Inaccurate Lineup Card Question

At a college game I watched last week, a player came to bat for the visiting team with a runner at third base. She grounded out to F4 with R3 scoring on the play. Then, the offensive coach came out to talk to the PU. The PU then went over to talk with the defensive head coach, and I saw her make a change to her lineup card. The final result of the discussion was that R3 was returned to third base.

Afterward, I heard that the batter who grounded out to F4 was listed in the lineup card with an incorrect number. Instead of "Smith, S, #5", she was listed as "Smith, S, #6". The ruling was because the defense identified it before the next pitch, the offending player is ruled out, and all play resulting from the batted ball is nullified. This is the procedure in NCAA Rule 8.3.2(d)

My question is based upon the Note that is in 8.3.2 that states, "A player's name supersedes a listed uniform number (See Rule 5.7)" Maybe I'm wrong, but as I read that, wouldn't the fact that the name "Smith, S" was the batter who batted, and since the name is correct, the number being incorrect is really irrelevant? I'm just trying to understand the purpose of that Note.

Thoughts?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker