View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I would disagree with you on 1. Unless I misinterpreted the situation, it sounds like they are both moving toward the sideline and defender gets to that 3 feet place. At that point, NFHS POE (o) is "If there is less than 3 feet of space, the dribbler has the greater responsibility for the contact," and (p) "A player with the ball is to expect no leniency regarding space." I take that to mean as long as the defender is in bounds and is moving laterally legally, the onus is on the ballhandler to avoid contact (i.e. stop or change direction). I think video or more clarity on this exact situation would help, but I'm here to learn so if I'm wrong then I'd love to make sure I get this play right if I see it.
We're seeing the play differently.

I'm seeing a player running down the court and dribbling along the sideline with a defender also running down the court beside the dribbler and slowly veering into the dribbler such that the contact is never great but such that it eventually nudges the dribbler out. That defender is not moving laterally but towards the dribbler, slightly, losing LGP in doing so and committing a foul that put the offense at a disadvantage. And that is assuming the defender even had LGP to start with. Running down the court beside someone is usually not LGP.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Feb 06, 2019 at 02:52pm.