View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

#1. I think there are just too many factors in play here for it to be anything but a HTBT. Is the defender square to the ball carrier in the parallel movement or shoulder/hip to shoulder/hip? As space is shrinking is the offense taking a path the d is matching or is the d angling in and making the o change their angle? Is this happening through presence or contact? Is the defender maintaining LGP throughout or constantly re-establishing? Sort of thing that each situation is going to be unique but I definitely have no interest in bailing out offense for trying to drive through a space that is too small to get through if that is the case.

#2 I think this one is often misdiagnosed by the camp of officials and their assignors who've decided that they don't want bodies on the floor without a call. Two players in LGP or at least a spot they are entitled to on the floor and and offense comes in ducking, diving, leaning, trying to find/create space and ends up clipping someone's thigh, hip etc and going flying on the finish. Its not a PC but because they feel like they have to have something they find something the defense did wrong. Not everyone is comfortable letting out of control offense create bumper cars in their games so they are coming up with calls on everything when the offense just goes hard at the basket.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!