View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 12:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There's a difference between "rec ball" and subvarsity interscholastic games assigned by one's high school assigner where one will be evaluated for promotion.
That all depends. Many subvarsity games are there just to fill a body. They can get almost anyone to do them and most of the time are not trying to make people travel all over the world to take them. At least hear the promotion part takes place mostly in the summer and being evaluated at a camp. Working a subvarsity game at best might only get an evaluation if the varsity officials decide to watch their game. Otherwise, there might be veterans that will do those games to pick up some extra money.

Quote:
Guys that want to be promoted "care" about doing a good job in their subvarsity interscholastic games assigned by our high school assigner.
I have had administrators say, "We do not care, it is the sophomore game" to my face before it is over. They do not want to be there longer than they have to be in many cases. They are not trying to delay the main event because the sophomores are running late or causing a problem with the varsity contest start. As a football official, they will cancel the prelim game often if there is weather or some other kind of event. They can play those games anytime as opposed to a varsity game that likely has a smaller window. I had two sophomore games canceled this year because of incoming weather. The weather was not even there or they thought was coming into the area.

Quote:
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, "rec ball" is like the Wild West, anything goes, show up in sweats, sneakers, never switch, don't signal correctly, walk up the court, etc., but when one works subvarsity interscholastic games assigned by our high school assigner, one will be evaluated for promotion, so one should dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's", or one might be working subvarsity games for one's entire career.
And you are proving my point.

Quote:
If the official working the subvarsity interscholastic games doesn't care, their evaluating partner, or a member of our evaluation committee certainly cares.
Well, that is a little different don't you think? Doesn't your state license or have a system of licensing officials? Big difference than an AAU type game that might not even be sanctioned by AAU itself and anyone with a pulse can do the local tournaments or assignments without any type of certification.

But do not miss the point. People are not trying to live at that level for more than other reasons than money. If someone has no desire to work a varsity game, you not giving them games because they did not switch on every foul? The way most sound around the country, you could not afford to be that strict.

Peace