View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If the Ball is still in A1's hands when A-HC makes his request for a TO, we are required to verify that it was the HC that made the request. The Rules recognize the fact that the A1 could very well release the Ball on a FGA and the FGA could go completely through the Basket during the time period in which the verification is being made. Grant the TO. The Ball became Dead retroactively to the moment the TO was actually requested.

Case-in-Point: Decades (and I do mean decades) ago in a girls' VAR game, less than 30 seconds left in the game, Visitors are down by three points and have the Ball Table Side in its Front Court. I was the L, Opposite the Table, in a Two-Person Crew, when V-HC, who is standing behind the T requests a TO. I did not have a good look through the Lane to look for a HC making a TO request. In that split second that my partner turned to verify the TO request V1 launched a 3-Point FGA that did nothing by tickled the net for a game tying FGA, . The Visitors were whooping and hollering until we informed the Table the that Ball because Dead at the moment the TO request was made. After the TO the Visitor were able to take two 3-Point FGAs but neither of them were successful and the Visitors lost by three points.

MTD, Sr.
If the Ball is still in A1's hands when A-HC makes his request for a TO, we are required to verify that it was the HC that made the request. The Rules recognize the fact that the A1 could very well release the Ball on a FGA and the FGA could go completely through the Basket during the time period in which the verification is being made. Grant the TO. The Ball became Dead retroactively to the moment the TO was actually requested.

Case-in-Point: Decades (and I do mean decades) ago in a girls' VAR game, less than 30 seconds left in the game, Visitors are down by three points and have the Ball Table Side in its Front Court. I was the L, Opposite the Table, in a Two-Person Crew, when V-HC, who is standing behind the T requests a TO. I did not have a good look through the Lane to look for a HC making a TO request. In that split second that my partner turned to verify the TO request V1 launched a 3-Point FGA that did nothing by tickled the net for a game tying FGA, . The Visitors were whooping and hollering until we informed the Table the that Ball because Dead at the moment the TO request was made. After the TO the Visitor were able to take two 3-Point FGAs but neither of them were successful and the Visitors lost by three points.

MTD, Sr.

“He requested the timeout before the shot attempt... Give it to him.” BryanV21

Since my question remains unanswered, consider this similar play: Visitors are down 3 points. Just as V1 ends her dribble near the 3pt. line V-HC requests a time out. The official turns and verifies it was the HC and just as he whistles to grant the time out, V1’s three point try swishes through the net. The clock shows .2 of a second remaining in the game. Using MTD’s rule, the ball becomes dead retroactively to the moment when the TO was actually requested. Using that erroneous philosophy, the ball should also retroactively go back to player control by V1 because according to NFHS rule we cannot grant a TO during a live ball unless there is player control. If we continue to use MTD’s philosophy, it would be incumbent upon the officials to put back the time on the clock just prior to V1’s release of the ball. That is, of course, if the officials have definite knowledge. The granting official wouldn’t know because he was looking to verify the TO request. The other officials, not having heard any signal yet, are most likely watching their PCA. Taking into account the HC requested the TO as V1 ended her dribble, the subsequent shooting motion of V1 and the flight of the ball on a try beyond the three point line there easily could have been 3+ seconds on the clock. So, for those who say grant the time out, what are you doing now? Taking away the tying 3 point goal and giving the visiting team a sideline throw in with .2 on the clock, correct?
There was a Point of Emphasis in the rule book and the Pre Season Guide for the 2016-17 season that made it very clear the official must ensure there is player control status before granting a requested time out during a live ball. Coaches are expected to understand that officials often cannot immediately grant a request for a time out. The correct procedure and ruling that I am reading from the NFHS for the above plays is that after verifying the HC’s request the official should have then checked the location of the ball and seeing the 3 point attempts were in flight, should have denied the request.