View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 09:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Play The Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
And if the ball bounded directly into somebody's hands rather than not being touched, the POI would be a throw-in for the team with possession at the time of the IW.
Seems simple, but is it by the book?

What if nine players responded to the whistle by doing nothing and only one responded by grabbing the ball?

Sounds a little (but not exactly the same) like when incorrect instructions are given by the officials on a free throw and some players react in one manner and others react in another manner.

8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two free throws will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed free throw is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be ruled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3; 2-10)

How often do coaches and officials tell kids to play the whistle?

Now I will agree that that doesn't sound like the simplest way to handle this, after all one player has possession of the ball, but I believe that, by rule, the officials should go to the alternating possession arrow.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 09:48am.