View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 06:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Bottom line, I want to beat the tape. That is it. I do not care about much else. And unless you are working a TV game with multiple angles, it is harder to beat the tape. I called a play kind of out of my area on Saturday, it was the only call out of my area they entire game. It did not save the game. It just was an open look and gave my partners every opportunity to see it. But I was not doing that again. The call did not save the world or the game. And if I passed on the play, no one would have said anything but maybe the shooter (he is on the video saying he got hit on the arm).

I just think there are plays we are going to miss and I am not putting my bread and butter on calls outside of my primary when I respect the partners I am working with.

Peace
I learned my lesson on "beat the tape" as a small college deep wing in football. I called DPI that was pretty obvious to me in my position and the observer simply told me it wasn't a strong flag based on one crappy angle from a-top the press box.

Lesson learned. At that level, it better be a gigantic elephant or you simply don't hit it.

Same thing in a HS game. It had better show up on the crappy tape or I'm not coming all the way across the court while singing the Mighty Mouse theme.