Thread: Stall Ball ...
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Less Decisions ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
As an official, I believe that the shot clock will improve the game, because I will have to make less decisions ...
Less decisions? I know little about shot clocks because Connecticut only uses shot clocks for varsity private prep school games, but it seems to me that anything that speeds up the game will make it harder for officials, if not, certainly not easier. Forget about possible mistakes by table crews for now, but just think of a game where there are more shots, more rushed shots, more misses, more rebounds, etc. These definitely invite many more decisions that will have to be made by officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
No one can accuse me of having a fast 10-second count if my count starts at 30 seconds on the shot clock and ends at 20! No one could accuse me of a fast 5-second count closely guarded if I start my count at 17 seconds and call a 5-second violation with 12 (or 11) showing on the shot clock.
Reaching for straws here, same thing can be demonstrated on video with a game clock or a stopwatch.

But, hey, what do I know, I've only been doing this for thirty-eight years compared to ilyazhito's, what, fifty-plus years?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 15, 2019 at 05:57pm.