Thread: Stall Ball ...
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
If it was up to me, I would mandate the shot clock for postseason play, because that is where the stalling strategy is most likely to rear it's ugly head (early rounds can have one team coming in who is over matched relative to the other).
I have worked the postseason every year since 2004 in boys basketball. I have yet to see a single game where a team held the ball for several minutes to limit possessions. Now there are teams that might pass the ball around to keep away a little, but usually, that ends up in a bad turnover or making the team so unaggressive that they often lose the game. Mainly because doing this stops their rhythm to make shots or to even take an open shot they did earlier in the game. I am OK with a shot clock in the long run, but not just for one part of the season or the most important part of the season. And in the postseason here, everyone participates. You play regardless of your record and regardless if you win a certain amount of games. Yes there are some games. Not many changes anyway.

Honestly, the best teams in the postseason can play multiple ways to win. They are not married to a zone where they only win playing that one way. It is great to have something that makes the game more entertaining, but many teams I see still play basketball and do not need to hold the ball to have an advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
In many cases, postseason games (especially in later rounds), are played at neutral sites that already have functioning shot clock equipment.
Almost all of our postseason games are with teams that are at a neutral site. So we cannot use that as the standard for a shot clock. And the host school is often in the early round which is our Regionals. After that, the Sectional is often not participating at that level. And I am sure it is different or similar across the country. You cannot judge your experience alone as the reason to make a change like this. None of that is going to matter when the actual decisions are being made.

Peace