Thread: Stall Ball ...
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 11:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
My idea of a high school basketball budget is all basketball related personnel (coaches, clock operators, and officials) , equipment and uniforms for grades 9-12. If you only want to "charge" the cost of the clocks to the teams that use them, I see them used at the V, Jv, and freshman levels. Most programs I see have 4 coaches (boys and girls). It is a safe bet that those 4 coaches have a combined salary of $15K.

If you don't like what the cost of clocks will be, let your local school board know. The cost to me as a taxpayer was not noticeable (at least the way things work in my parts).

My state has them. I like them. I did not go broke paying for them.
I do not think it really matters what the basketball budget is. The athletic department in many areas is claiming they are strapped for money and they are struggling for uniforms, they might not be able to easily cover this cost. That is why IMO it has never passed nationally. Sure some sponsorships might help, but not all schools have those kinds of extra funds coming in. And at least where I am, coaches are often school employees and paid more for being a teacher and not being a coach. It is a package deal to hire a coach/teacher. And not all schools are using taxpayer money. Private schools also apply and many of them might be able to get the money, but it would take some effort to do so.

NOt saying it cannot ever be done. IT could, but not sure why this is such an issue when it very rarely happens. We have enough problems at the small college ranks with table people and now we are thinking we will have no problems with a shot clock at thousands of schools across the country. We will hear of many situations were the clock becomes a bigger factor than it is now.

Peace