View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I was having a hard time understanding the difference myself. Why is this call ok, but most were against a partner going out of their PCA on the other thread?

Is it because the official is a veteran, is respected, and no one questions him? That seems to be the unwritten rule from what I have read on the other thread. I don't know anything about this official.

I 100% agree that a low post spin away from the C is a really good look for the T. But to get that, the T has to go out of their PCA to get it.
A big difference is the openness to the play. In the other case, it was clear the T had a open look at the play. Perhaps the T just didn't see the contact that the C saw, but the T had a good position to normally make a good judgement.

When things get crowded and sight-lines get cut off, things change. That is the entire point of the principles of coverage on curl plays. The lane is usually more congested than other areas and it is easy for the "primary" official to not have a good look on some types of plays. If you know those types of plays, you'll know when it is a good idea to jump in and when it is a good idea to not jump in.

Look at your partner(s). If they have a clear look at the play and could have seen the contact and made a judgement, leave it alone if it is anything short of a non-basketball play. If you see that their view was likely blocked and it is an obvious foul, get it but do so late.