View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 03:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Still, gather is used by many to mean two hands on the ball and what is necessary to end the dribble. That is simply not correct, by rule.
I think you are widely incorrect in this statement. I have never heard the term to have anything to mean 2 hands only as when a dribble ends. If that was the case then you could not have a carry violation. And there was a time when it was taught to do a layup without every putting both hands on the ball. Never have I used or even suggested that only the gather took place with two hands alone. But I think it is the most common way to end a dribble is when players clearly stop their dribble, they do it by trying to secure the ball with both hands. Kind of the same way a player catches a pass. In this case, the player clearly tried to do just that, catch the ball with both hands on the ball. Also by rule the dribble ends with both hands touching the ball. With one hand you need the ball to come to rest or by interpretation, "Be more than a handshake." I do not see that clearly in this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I base my judgement on the rules, not some made up term that as is commonly defined and used is in contrast to the rules.
So does most people here. And since you are so worried about a term, well in this play I do not see any sign that the dribble officially ended with one hand. And if I am going to make sure a ruling, I also have to have some visual evidence that took place. Maybe in other videos there is a dribble that ended with one hand, but this is not the one IMO.

Peace