View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 02:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough To Be The Veteran Referee ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
That’s a great attitude for all officials to have toward each other!
My new life as a subvarsity official. Worked with a second year official a few days ago. Good play calling, court coverage, signals, etc.

Note: My pregame included: Stay in your primary. Something must be very obvious to come out of your primary. If something is there that really needs to be called, call it. And: If anything odd happens, let’s get together and get it right.

First period. I get straightlined on a press break travel or illegal dribble in the jump ball circle that everyone in the gym saw except me (I could tell from the crowd).

Halftime to partner, "First period? Did I miss a travel or a double dribble in the jump ball circle?"
Partner, "Yes. Travel. I didn't want to overrule a veteran official."
Me, "I got straightlined. Veterans can miss stuff too. If you see your partner miss something that obvious, help him out".

Fourth period. Partner lead, I'm trail. White gains possession while on the floor near the block. White coach requests and is granted a timeout by me, I stay on the jump ball circle for the timeout, partner has ball for throwin on the front court lane line. After the horn, partner hands ball to Blue and we play ball.

Next timeout, partner walks over to me, "I think we gave the ball to the wrong team after the last timeout".
We discuss, and we did. It's half my fault. But he knew we may have been wrong before he administered the throwin.
Me, "Why didn't you say anything?".
Partner, "I figured that you, as the veteran, had it under control".
Me, "Don't ever be afraid to have a short one on one discussion with any partner about anything odd that happens in the game".

I'm a veteran, but a journeyman veteran official, I can't be that intimidating. Other partners have given me lots of much appreciated "help" over thirty-eight years.

Last week, in the locker room, I tried to convince a young partner that while we never shoot team control fouls, we do shoot common fouls (including no team control fouls) over the limit. He stubbornly disagreed with me, so I really can't be that intimidating.

We're the third team out there. Be a good teammate.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 07, 2019 at 03:41pm.