View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
So I have had this situation come up 3 times this season and run into issues.
Situation: A1 in the front court passes to A2. The ball is deflected by B2. B2 has a clear path to the ball and is pushed or held by A2. Common foul on A2. Team B is in the Bonus.

First time I was a non calling official, partner signaled bonus prior to reporting and I went to him and asked, Did B2 obtain player control of the ball? Uh maybe, I think so. Later in the locker room, oh did you mean for team control because then we wouldn't have shot free-throws? Yea we should have gone OOB.

Second time, I am the calling official in the trail. Foul takes place in front of bench of team that was fouled.
Tweet - Blue ball sideline.
Lead, we are in the bonus.
Me, Team control foul blue ball sideline.
Lead, are you sure we are in the bonus. New lead old C is standing at the other end of the floor holding up 1 and 1.
Me, team control foul out of bounds sideline.
Coach what are you talking about I have never heard that before. Table I haven't see that before. Coach You guys either huh strange.

Third time, I am the calling official in the lead. Once again in front of the team who was fouled bench.
Tweet - black ball end line.
Coach - We are in the bonus
Me - Coach your player never had control of the ball it is a team control foul throw-in out of bounds.
Partner whoa whoa, it was a loose ball. Coach there was no player control foul.
Me - Team control had not ended it is a throw-in.
In the locker room at halftime. Did you understand the team control foul and why it was out of bounds. Partner "It was a loose ball team control had ended" Me - "when did team control end?" Partner - "When black tipped the ball". Me- "Team control does not end until a try, opponent player control, or the ball out of bounds. (I know that I stated the third part incorrectly as I should have said ball dead, shame on me.) Partner - That's not right we shoot those fouls all the time and they shoot them in NCAA. I don't think that's right. This was a veteran official.

My question comes as to how to efficiently handle these situations when they occur? Having a rules discussion with my partners standing in front of the coach who's team is being effected* does not seem professional. How do I administer the correct ruling without having a drawn out conversation/argument with my partners. These were all Varsity Boys games with partners that I would consider experienced and mostly competent*.
*The proper term to use is "affected" in your case.

*Nevertheless, this post indicates how important it is for us to do constant rules and casebook review. I've had refs tell me "I been reffing games for 25 years and I know what I'm doing"---alas the ref is an example of someone who has been doing it for 25 years the 'wrong way'. Now when refs tell me that line it does not faze me.

*Now regarding how you diplomatically handle this disagreement/correction in public in front of the coach: you pull your crew to center court and discuss--away from the ears and influence of said coach. Hay I have to run to work a game, will give more input later on tonight...