View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If I had a CITATION then I wouldn't be discussing INTENT. But since you are so hell-bent on this being the proper ruling, tell me how many times have you, in your 30+ year officiating career, called a violation when a jumper landed on the other side of the division line? How many time has BigCat? How many times collectively out of every single member on this forum has someone called a violation for a jumper landing on the other side of the division line?

If those answers are ZERO and the NFHS has never made it a POE to enforce, then I will say again: I don't think it is the intent of the NFHS for it to be a violation if either jumper crosses the division line before the jump ball ends.

IMO (O = Opinion), I believe the intent is for each jumper to stay in his/her half until the ball is touched. Just my hunch based on decade after decade of jump ball administration.
I have never called it in 30 plus years of HS or college. Having said that, Jeff’s video asked something like “do you see anything wrong here...”. I didn’t see anything I’d call and the only thing close to wrong/different was fact that NC player went way in to other side of circle before jump over. I just happen to know that the rules say each jumper stay in his half of circle and note says “during jump ball.” Jump ball isn’t over until hits floor, non jumper etc. I pointed out what rule and note says.
Nothing more, nothing less. 6-3-1 and the note at the end of section 3.

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Jan 04, 2019 at 02:08pm.