View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 01, 2019, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Interesting that both sets of NCAA rules are no more clear on this than the NFHS rules. What is the NCAA’s long-standing interpretation on this situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure I agree that NCAA does not address this. I can only speak for WBB (I am pretty sure the men's rules are written the same), but I can say this:

Rule 4-8.2: A team shall be in control when: (a) a player of the team is in control; (b) while a live ball is being passed between teammates; (c) when a player of that team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in; or (d) during an interrupted dribble.

What is more important than when team control exists is when it ends. Rule 4-8.3 states that team control continues until the ball is in flight during a try for goal, an opponent secures control of the ball, or the ball becomes dead.

In the play from the game, once the ball was placed at SHU's disposal for the throw-in, they have team control until the conditions of Rule 4-8.3 exist. Since none of things had occurred prior to the official's whistle, SHU will be awarded the ball for a throw-in when play resumes (the men use the nearest throw-in spot, in this case, the 28-foot line; NCAAW would put the ball into play at the out-of-bounds spot nearest to where the ball was located when the official sounded the whistle).