View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 31, 2018, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The NFHS has made it abundantly clear that team control only exists on a throw-in for the purpose of fouls and, for all other cases, there is no team control on a throw in.

Yes, the rules are horribly written with respect to that. But, the explanation of those rules when they came out and again in several situations after that specifically say that there is no team control for any other purpose during a throwin.

The most recent time they made that clear was in last year's powerpoint presentation.

You can see it on slide 30 here: https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default..._Point.CD_.pdf

In it, they say:

Subsequent slides further clarify the issue.

They should, however, rewrite the actual rule to say what they mean it to say.
I agree. I looked back in the 2006-07 Rules Fundamentals #2 where it says "Neither a team nor a player is ever in control during a dead ball, or during a jump ball or throw in." So, if this IW following the deflection situation occurred back then it would result in an AP throw in. As Cameron said, the NFHS made it clear the TC aspect on a throw in only pertains to fouls (by the throw in team.) Here in Ohio I remember the OHSAA was emphatic this was exactly how this was to be interpreted. Any other situation that might occur was to be ruled the same as it was before the new TC rule was adopted. Fine if the NCAA wants to interpret differently; but the NFHS has never changed its interpretation to my knowledge.