View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 31, 2018, 10:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misuse Of Team Control Foul ...

I worked with a relatively inexperienced junior varsity official recently.

Both teams in the bonus. Last free throw of two free throws. He’s lead, I’m trail. Free throw misses and bounces on the rim. While ball is still on the rim, partner sounds whistle and puts up fist. I saw the illegal contact ("over the back") by offensive player, but it was in his area of responsibility so I gave him first shot at the call.

As he’s on his way to the table, I’m starting to move the players down the other end and identify the shooter for more free throws, but he stops and tells me, “Possession, no free throws, team control foul”.

Fourth period of a blowout game, so I don’t pursue this on the court.

Post game, locker room, me: “What did you see?”

He tells me that one never shoots free throws on these types of rebounding fouls, so “It’s like a team control foul”.

I explain to him that there's no team control between the free throw release and the control (holding) of the rebound, and while it’s true that we don't shoot team control fouls, this situation isn't a team control foul but is a common foul after the bonus that needs free throws.

He still wouldn't agree with me, and is quite adamant about it, "We never shoot free throws on these types of rebounding fouls".

This is a pretty good junior varsity official, good rules knowledge (except for this), good mechanics, good play calling judgment.

Could he be confusing NFHS rules with another rule set, possibly NBA?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 31, 2018 at 10:40am.