View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

There was some talk who believe the T blew because he thought the SJ player was stepping out of bounds during the tip or it was anticipated that he would land on the sideline with the ball. Was there a replay shot that showed this?

Per the mechanics manual, the T should be chopping the clock (which he doesn't) and activating the PTS pack upon legal contact of the ball from a player. If the T chops, it would give us a better indication when he believed the clock should have started. The T then raises his hand to stop the clock during his whistle.

If I'm the T, there is no way I would be able to see if the clock started on the tipped ball that eventually goes toward the sideline. The tipped ball by the SJ player is an active match-up that would have my attention as the T and my sightline would not be toward the clock. I would hope the tableside C would look (be responsible) for a proper clock start. Just looking at the video, it does not appear to me that the T looks toward the backboard clock during his whistle.

If they ruled an inadvertent whistle after the tipped (loose) ball, they should have gone to the possession arrow to determine which team would get the ball. Does anyone know if SH had the possession arrow?

Thanks JRut for posting. This a great play for learning and discussion.