View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 21, 2018, 07:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

All Dressed Up With No Place To Go ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Billy will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm gonna guess $63.05 is the standard 2-person rate for subvarsity in Connecticut.
Correct. Junior varsity. Freshman. Middle school.

We have two middle school leagues that play an "extra" ten minute running time period after the "real" game allowing the kids that didn't get a chance to play in the "real" game a chance to play. Each official gets an additional $15.76. Win for the kids, win for the officials ($78.81), but it's the worst ten minutes of basketball that you've ever seen in your entire life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
He did work solo. Here, an official who works solo on games where there should be two will get 1.5x the normal rate.
Correct, 1.5 fee under "normal" one person circumstances. But this wasn't "normal".

In my case, I showed up at the site (actually got the cell phone call canceling the game while I was in the gym looking for someone to unlock the locker room door). My partner never made it to the site, he just stayed home.

I knew that I was getting paid, I could have just got back into my car and gone home. But there were two teams (actually four, both junior varsity teams were also at the site, as well as the freshman teams) on the court, dressed for the game, and table crew (students) was ready to go. Since I already made the ride to the site and planned my day around the game, I figured "What's the rush?", and voluntarily offered to work a few scrimmage periods, it was accepted, and I got dressed.

I hadn't worked a one person game in over thirty years, and had forgotten how physically easy (I've got a bad bone spur in my ankle) it was (free throw line to free throw line), so after one period I offered to work three more (total of two junior varsity and two freshman) periods.

A little bit good will goes a long way. This morning I got a thank you email from both the athletic director and my assigner.

There's nothing wrong with doing it "for the kids" some of the time (as long as it's totally voluntary and just some of the time). Another win win situation, the kids got to play and I got paid to do something that I like to (but didn't have to) do. No need for the extra one half fee for a one person game. It was my choice, I could have just gone home. The 1.5 fee never even entered my mind.

Let the "stone throwing" begin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 21, 2018 at 01:25pm.