View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 13, 2003, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

That part is clear to me, too. Until the batter has touched 1B and the pitcher has the ball in the circle, what the runners do is immaterial for the purposes of the look-back rule.

I do believe there is some ambiguity regarding Part c, however.

Ball in the circle. Runner overruns, turns left, makes a motion toward 2B and stops. Part c says (literally) that, now that she has stopped, she must proceed toward 2B non-stop. In what other situation can a runner stop between bases and not have a choice of which way to run?

A runner is either (1) permitted to stop and then immediately proceed one way or the other, or (2) not permitted to stop at all. Part c says a runner can stop but then must proceed in one direction only. I suspect that "and stops" should be deleted from Part c.

POE #33 (look-back rule) even contradicts Part c: "If, after the pitcher has the ball within the circle, the runner [who has overrun] starts back to the original base or forward to another base and then stops or reverses direction, the runner is out, unless the pitcher makes a play on the runner [it should say any runner].

POE #33 contains an known erroneous sentence. Perhaps Part c also fails to say what it means.