Thread: Shoes
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 13, 2018, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

I wear running shoes and have for over a decade. That's probably the mesh shoe's you're seeing. I've said for years that shoes are very person specific so someone telling you that XYZ brand and model work well doesn't mean they'll work for you.

For the past 5 years or so in both hoops and football, I've worn insoles. It makes a WORLD of difference, for me anyway. I have a very high arch and need a neutral (pretty much straight up and down) shoe. So that means maximum cushioning. Others who's feet over pronate (turn inward) when they run don't need as much or any cushioning but possibly need some stability. Most of the classic trainer type shoes are made with some stability in mind, thus they don't work well for me. The insoles do keep my feet stable in the sense that there isn't too much movement when I run. What I had issues with wasn't the stability of the shoe but the fact that the outside of the ball of my foot and my back heel moved so much, I rubbed blisters and callouses. The insoles help that.

Finding all black running shoes is a bit of a chore, but it has gotten a little easier. Saucony had a pair out and Asics will put a pair out every so often. I pretty much wear black and white shoes since that's what I can find. The Hoka Cliftons come in black but have a white sole, but there is a leather version of Hokas (don't know model name) that might work well for neutral guys like me. It is more of a walking shoe but I bet it does better than the classic cross trainers.

I've never been a big fan of shining shoes. I keep them clean but the mesh doesn't prevent me from having any particular look. No supervisor or camp evaluator ever said a word to me.