View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. was being facetious here, this is a very serious issue here in Connecticut.

By state law, passed by our legislature, and signed into law by our governor, transgender students can play on the gender team that they identify with.

Now it's not quite as simple as that, the identification must be confirmed by parents, social workers, psychiatrists, psychologists, and endocrinologists (not by surgeons).

We had two transgender girls winning sprint events at our class and open girls state track championships last spring, with complaints by several parents.

Right now it's only track, but it will eventually cross over to team sports, including basketball.

When it comes to most social issues, I'm pretty liberal, when it comes to civil rights, I'm right there standing up for all minorities, gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation, sexual identify, etc.

As a retired teacher, I realize that transgender students have a lot on their plates, bullying, depression, suicide, drug use, etc., and that playing on the gender team that they identify with may be a positive influence on their life, but something still bothers me about this, something about a level playing field and fairness.

It's going to take much smarter people than me to figure this out.
Great Post!