View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 09, 2018, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
In a college game? Maybe. Not sure how much high school ball you do but that can be a big difference, especially in the girls game. It’s also not always a perfect sixth player for best player substitute situation. If the best player is a post player, it’s likely the next post in is probably going to be some big bruiser or a gangly kid who can’t handle the ball. Maybe he’s the 8th or 9th best player. Either way, the quality of the game, the flow, the fun aspect of officiating the game, etc all take a dip. Like I said, I was the same as most of you but it’s not a bad thing to manage a game. I mean no offense in saying this, but I’m much more apt to take my cues from Terry Oglesby than billyu2 from the internet message board. Just my two cents on how my game has evolved a bit this year.
No offense at all. I enjoy the discussion. Terry is expressing from his experience as a big time official. From my experience of 30+ HS I can say most often the better players are better not just by skill but by aggressiveness and physicality. When they inevitably get into foul trouble and have to sit, the game often has better flow and perhaps lesser quality. Either way, I don’t consider that much of a priority. I’ve worked hard and had games with good flow and quality and games where there was no flow and little quality.