View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 06, 2018, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Excellent video. Thanks sdoebler.

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control.
A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without
violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once
A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her
back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling
unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises
and is first to touch the ball.
(4-44-5b)
Nice video but I do not think it fits the case as far as your red-letter words. To me, the video shows control is gained with the knee touching the floor and then the player rising, which is the traveling part.

Back to your myth list and "holding" a ball for traveling. To "hold" usually means grasping, as in using one hand. As far as a basketball, holding generally means with two hands or one hand and at least another body part. (for example one hand on the ball depressing it against a player's waist = player is holding the ball). Do you consider someone palming (and not in the dribbling sense but rather controlling the ball with one hand moving it in any direction) the ball to be "holding" it? I do not consider palming to be holding in the basketball sense which is another reason why I prefer the word "controlling" when discussing traveling. Palming is like a very specific method of holding. Not sure how I feel about describing a supinated hand with the ball on it. Thinking holding but if hand on the bottom is holding, why shouldn't on the top (palming) be holding? And if we have a specific term for describing the palm on top (palming) then why no specific word for the palm being on the bottom? (suppose could say supinating but no one does, everyone says holding) More for me with which to wrestle. Not debating anything, just throwing out my two cents. No one in the world will question your description of traveling in your myth list.