View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
See that's where I'm with this...kind of a gray area because of the configuration of where the bleachers are and the fact that kids ARE seated or standing there.

But my argument has been that games site admins had an obligation here... his act was deliberate. It's one thing to wave your arms, scream, shout...while seated or standing AT YOUR SEAT in that first row ...but going down on the floor.....I really feel that should have been addressed after he went down there earlier in the game when the visiting team had another FT shooter at the line.

I don't buy he didn't know the kid had epilepsy as he did enough research on another player who is an IU recruit to have an image of that kids mom printed and plastered on his chest.

I appreciate your input guys...
That's fine that you feel that way, but at the end of the day the "seizure" gesture itself is not an officiating issue. I don't get paid enough to do research and make inferences about what offensive gestures the students might do. If a coach confronts me and says "That student was making fun of my player with epilepsy," I might talk to game admin and leave it to them.

I would address the student deliberately coming down from the bleachers behind the backboard where he isn't allowed to be by rule, but as for the gesture, that's beyond the scope of my responsibility unless he does something that's universally known to be offensive regardless of whom it's directed at (like flipping the bird).