View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 20, 2018, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball Immediately After A Successful Goal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You have no idea if the ball being dead has anything to do with the ruling, because it is not explicitly stated in the rule book.
We've seen videos in this thread of players being called for this infraction during the dead ball period immediately after a successful goal. No apparent taunting. No apparent delay of game. That leads me to believe that excessive grasping is not allowed during dead balls.

Then, of course, we have this statement from the NBA: "Players are not allowed to pull themselves up on the rim, nor are they allowed to hang on the rim following a dunk attempt, unless they are doing so to avoid injury to themselves or another player".

It does list "unless" exceptions, but dead ball is not listed as an "unless" exception.

Absent taunting, or delay of game, I still believe that this correct no call was mainly due to the immediacy of the timeout.

Had there been no immediate timeout called, I believe that James could have been called for an excessive grasp of the ring, as we've seen by other players in other videos with no taunting, or no delay of game.

I do not have extensive knowledge of NBA rules, but I know how to read and how to logically understand factual information that is presented to me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 21, 2018 at 12:24pm.