View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 13, 2018, 02:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Education Is the Key To Success ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It means the ball wasn't live and he wasn't hanging on the rim while other players are trying to shoot or something like that. You've been given an explanation and you're still not satisfied, that's the problem. Why do you feel like other officials in this forum don't know the rules and how to apply them to their own games?
One single explanation (from Raymond, above, "or something that"). Not a single explanation regarding the NBA "dead ball" statement before Raymond's. And who says that I'm not satisfied after getting the single explanation?

Why do you assume that everyone who views this Forum, both members, and nonmembers, are officials? We have players, coaches, and fans that get sent here after posing a question on a search engine. Some decide to join just to ask questions (long time lurker, first time poster).

Why do you assume that every official on this Forum is experienced, knows all the rules, knows all the interpretations, knows all the mechanics, knows all the differences in rule sets, etc. Officials have to be beginners at some point in their career, they're not born as great officials that never have any questions.

I view one of the purposes of the Forum to be educational. Maybe I'm in the minority? Maybe I'm biased because of my thirty-plus year teaching background, my service on training committees for both rules and mechanics, and the publication of several of my educational basketball officiating articles in magazines?

Teaching is in my blood, whether it's teaching science, or teaching basketball officiating.

I've been officiating for almost four decades, and I've been a Forum member over a dozen years, and yet, I learn something on the Forum all the time. And if I don't learn something new, I'm often reminded about things that I already know, things that are reinforced in my mind. Repetition is an important part of learning. Most people don't learn something well by learning it only once.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 13, 2018 at 02:29pm.