View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 12, 2018, 01:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dueling Interpretations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2000-2001 BASKETBALL INTERPRETATIONS
SUPPLEMENT #1 SITUATION 1: Al is an airborne shooter preparing to release the ball on a shot attempt. Instead of releasing the ball on the try, Al fumbles the ball (while still in the air) and drops it. Al then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball. RULING: Traveling violation. While airborne the bail must be released for a try or pass. (4—43-3a; 94)
This above is not the same as this below:

When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and touches the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. No fumble here, just a purposeful, deliberate, intentional drop, that becomes illegal when the player touches the ball again after it hits the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Goes against the rules that they have in place for a description of a fumble.
I agree with JRutledge. Has the NFHS confused the two situations above?

Does the NFHS believe that officials can't tell the difference between a fumble and purposeful, deliberate, intentional drop?

But there's the NFHS 2000-2001 Basketball Interpretations Supplement #1 Situation #1 interpretation in black and white, for all to clearly see, until the NFHS changes the rule, or the interpretation, which, as far as I know, it hasn't.

Of course the NFHS never gets confused, and never makes a mistake. Never. Ever.

Who are we to question the Great and Powerful NFHS?

Wait, who did Toto find hiding behind the curtain?

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 12, 2018 at 05:29pm.