View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

On both points....

Last night we had a clock only on one end. In all three games we decided that the official facing the clock would call the last shot -- lead or trail.

As for the close shot, you call it as it is if obvious. If it was real close, I'd let the score influence me at the end of the game with a wide margin. The winning team will not care, and it gives the others something to feel good about.

I had a similar experience my first year. One team was still in single digits, the other a scoring machine. Late in the game the team down had a freethrow. The shooter violated the line just a little. I blew the shot dead, and it was the only freethrow the team made the whole game. A 20+ year vet in the stands talked to me later and said that good game management ignores the violation and lets them have the basket. Recognize that we weren't talking about running down the lane, but landing with a foot on the line or maybe over an inch or so, and no attempt to run into the lane. It was a valuable lesson for me. (The player was semi-crushed.)