Thread: A Rat
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 08, 2018, 05:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Worry, Be Happy (Bobby McFerrin, 1988) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The more I hear about drama that happens in associations that have assigning authority ...
My local IAABO board (it's actually the elected executive committee) hires an assigner on a one year contract, $32,025.00 for 2018-19. Been that way for thirty-eight years, and probably longer.

I'm a journeyman official and I can't complain, I get a full schedule, including many high level games, usually as the umpire with a high level partner.

I never hear any complaining from the younger officials, probably because of our new evaluation system that does away with years of experience and goes with evaluations by a highly trained committee.

Our assignment system is ripe for problems, in 100% IAABO Connecticut, if one wants to officiate interscholastic games anywhere in the two counties we cover, there's only one assigner, it's a really restrictive monopoly.

And except for those grandfathered in, one can only work in the county where one resides, so unlike Bonnie and Clyde often did, we can't cross county lines.

But it works. We have a both great assigner, and a great evaluation system.

Many officials usually want more games. Well, as they often say, be careful what you wish for.

Last season, due to weather reschedules, during one week in February I worked Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. For the first time ever, I had to do laundry in midweek, or I would run out of uniforms. For the first time in my career I had too many games, I couldn't wait for Sunday to get a night off.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 09, 2018 at 01:01am.