View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 30, 2018, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

This Specific Instance ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Team A only has five players, one eligible substitute, and no timeouts. Before the first free throw of a one and one, A-6 replaces A-5. The first free throw is successful but A-1 is seriously injured during the rebounding action. Of course, the clock hasn’t started. Case play 3.1.1 states “must have five players participating as long as it has that number available”. May A-5 reenter without “sitting a tick” to replace injured A-1 fulfilling the “five players participating” requirement, or is A-5 not “available” because he must “sit a tick”?
I just realized that the number of timeouts has no relevance above because under the circumstances in this situation the coach can't "buy" A-5 back into the game with a timeout even if he had a timeout and wanted to use it (unlike the "injury, beckon, timeout to stay in game" situation). A-5 wasn't injured, he was just part of a regular substitution and A-5, under almost all circumstances, maybe even under all circumstances, would have to "sit a tick".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There's a case / interp where A5 can return in this specific instance.
I thought so, but I can't find it, casebook or annual interpretation.

Can anybody help out here and find a citation that allows A-5 to get back into the game as a fifth player without having to "sit a tick""?

Nevadaref. This is right in your wheelhouse.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)