View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 29, 2018, 09:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUMP View Post
The Case Book 6.5.7 SITUATION B seems to cover this type of action as invalid signal (case c):.....

During a scrimmage kick, R1 signals for a fair catch by: (a) extending and holding one arm above his head; or (b) partially extending and waving one hand in front of his face; or (c) fully extending and laterally waving both hands above his head or in front of the body without extending one hand at arm’s length above his head; or (d) extending and laterally waving one arm at full length above his head.

RULING: The signals in (a), (b) and (c) are invalid. In (d), the signal is valid. Giving an invalid signal is a foul for which the penalty is enforced under the post-scrimmage kick provision.
Plays a, b, and c are basically above the head or at the head. Not exactly what we are talking about here. The play in question is at shoulder or below shoulder length. I am not sure that is what we are talking about if the "waving" is in front of your face. And I have never seen anyone suggest give a penalty for the "get away" signal that is often used in these situations. Never has been the case in my over 20 years of officiating.

Peace