View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 03, 2018, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This isn't true. It was implemented so that basketball would be consistent with all the other sports, which have a post-game handshake that is observed by officials. It is not a policing mechanism. Rather, it is so that the officials can be part of the "sportsmanship celebration". Yes, really.

Prior to this year, officials were not required to shake the players hands as part of the celebration, but were allowed to do so if they desired. This year, however, it seems likely that the MIAA will change that and say that we observe the line and then leave the floor without shaking hands/fist-bumping the players. That's not a done deal yet, but it's being recommended.
The other sports' policies were/are dumb, as well. Might as well have the officials lead a chant before the game as happens in some wreck leagues.

Quote:
This is kind of true. The officials are allowed to assess technical fouls during the handshake, but the penalties are not applied during the game. They are charged and reported to the state office. For coaches, they can still be suspended or penalized, but the result of the game is not affected.
Still contrary to NFHS rules. If you assess a T after the final horn and the points could affect the outcome of the game, you are supposed to attempt the FTs.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind the handshake at all if we did it BEFORE the game. It still promotes sportsmanship among the participants, but does so at a time when emotions aren't running high.
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I doubt any behavior is changing based on the presence or absence of a pregame handshake.