View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post

I would prefer that dunks before the game and in intermissions become legal in NFHS, just as in NCAA, because that would remove another provision of the rules that officials would need to enforce, and would allow players that dunk to properly warm up, provided that the rims are not damaged. However, the NFHS basketball rules committee would have to pass such a proposal (or state rules committees would have to unilaterally adopt such a proposal, as has happened in 8 states and DC with a shot clock). Even better would be if dunks before a game, in intermissions, or after the game become legal, because that would eliminate the play that BillyMac mentioned.
This is where you being young gets in the way. Most high schools do not have the money or the resources to simply replace a basket if broken or the liability if some kid falls on this head. Even at the NCAA level, depending on the level of college games, it is not allowed to dunk. I can tell you that NAIA and JUCO have rules against dunking in the pre-game based on several factors. So that means many lower level college ranks does not do what the NCAA D1 does because of money. I remember when the RA was first put in at the NCAA level, the D2 and D3 did not even have to put an RA on the floor for a year or so because of the lack of resources to change the court. I do not see the NF changing this stance at all. There have been kids that died for trying to dunk and falling incorrectly.

Believe it or not, there are actually reasons for things being done a certain way. And those reasonings have had a longer history than you would be aware of because you have not been officiating very long. A Shot clock is one thing, a rule that might cause other problems is another.

Peace