View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
How exactly is the score approved? I know what the rulebook says, but in my practice, the Referee (and the Umpire(s), for a scholastic game) sign the scorebook after the Referee inspects the scorebook before the game. On the one hand, I agree with the recommendation to leave as soon as possible, but how would an error be corrected?

On a last-second shot, IMO, the crew (including the timer and alternate official, if applicable (sometimes, the alternate official IS also the timer)) should get together before rendering a final decision. This is to ensure that the officials get the call right, because a successful last-second shot could change the outcome of the game (knowing whether the last shot was a 2 or 3 pointer is important, because it can decide who wins, and if overtime was played. For example, Oakton and Chantilly played a game, and Oakton was down by 3 when a player made a last second shot. The responsible official (the Center opposite the table) decided that the shot was good, and that it was a 3-pointer. The Trail and Lead informed him that the shooter's feet were on the 3-point line, and the C correctly called the shot as a 2-pointer. Thus, the shot was good, but the game was over, with Oakton losing by 1.).
When I'm the R, I normally check with the table after the 3Q and again near the end of the game to make sure everything is good. Once the horn goes off, we're out of there absent the table frantically trying to get our attention. And once all three of us are outside the visual confines, that's it. Thankfully I don't referee in Massachusetts.

Not sure what the point of your second paragraph is as it relates to this thread.

Last edited by SC Official; Tue Sep 25, 2018 at 07:37am.